We talk so much about the fashion we love and the designers who create it but rarely do we talk about the things we don’t like. I sat wondering why that is for a few minutes until I figured out it’s because we don’t like to hurt someone else’s feelings. In a world that wants everyone to sing Kumbaya, it would be incredibly rude to disclose one’s distaste for another person’s style. But that’s exactly what I’m going to do.
Falling Out of Love
My criticism of some very popular fall 2015 fashions isn’t directed at anyone or meant to make people regret their shopping trips. Lord knows I have regretted some of mine. I love fashion and design but there are some things that just shouldn’t ever make it into the hands of the general public. Most styles that come down the runways aren’t wearable (at least in public). For whatever reason, men and women alike flock to see these shows and then attempt to wear the trends that come walking out of them. Call me basic (you probably already do), but these are the worst trends that have made it to the runway and then into our closets.
- Booties- Not the worst trend in the world but I’m still not a fan. They add weight to your leg especially when worn with skinny jeans tucked into them. When worn with a skirt or dress the silhouette is like “leg, leg, calf, and clunk. That’s a shoe.” You can wear them, but I will not.
- Fringe- It’s on bags, shoes, jackets, and even skirts. I feel like Chuck Norris might enjoy this trend too. As much as I love old episodes of Walker, Texas Ranger, I think I’m going to let him wear the fringe.
- Acid washed jeans that are high waisted- Both of these things are pretty bad separately. But together? They’re just awful. Acid wash jeans remind me of something Kimmy Gibbler wore on Full House way back when. High waisted jeans remind me of a few things that were in my grandma’s closet. For some women, they are flattering. They take me a little too far back though.
- Overalls- I think fall 2015 is really taking us back into the 1980s or so. Everything just seems like an ongoing hashtag of “Throwback Thursday”. I remember wearing overalls when I was really little and they were so cute on me. On a grown adult, not so much. I’m just not a fan. They aren’t capable of being tailored to your body to create a sleek line. I’m avoiding these.
- Chunky heels in the form of loafers- No, no, no. First of all, the chunky heel is not sleek or slimming, it adds poundage (if that’s possible) to your lower leg and foot. Since when was walking on a block sexy? Never. Creating a loafer-styled chunky heel is the epitome of this trend.
- Bell-bottom/extreme flare-leg jeans- Let’s step another decade into the past shall we? I’ve seen plenty of people wearing these this fall and on some people they look pretty good and on others, not so much. The key to wearing these is having thin, long legs. The flare at the bottom, once again, adds weight to your leg. The last thing you want is your upper leg to be only slightly thinner than the flare. Needless to say, I’m skipping these jeans.